PROPER CARE FOR PRESERVING YOUR CARPET
Elsen and Son offers you high quality carpets, which you can use for your entire life. To preserve your carpet in an optimal condition, make sure you care for it in the best possible manner.
Caring for your hand-knotted carpet
Your carpet shall last longer and shall remain in the condition it was in on the day you received it, if you follow the basic care rules.
Clean using a vacuum cleaner
The most important step in the care process is sufficient vacuum cleaning to eliminate soil and dust particles before they become encrusted in the hair fibres of the carpet. From the first day onwards, clean using a vacuum cleaner:
- at least once a week, very thoroughly with light suction,
- pass the vacuum cleaner more often over areas which are walked over the most
- use a vertical vacuum cleaner with a rotary beater bar or brush or with a power head
Important: the nozzle of the vacuum cleaner must be adjusted in such a manner that the brushes barely touch the surface of the carpet. The best method of doing so is to place a sheet of paper under the brush and adjust it till you can hear the beater bar hit the paper.
Avoid doing the following:
- Using a brush that is too hard on the beater bar because this will cause excessive friction
- Using an Oreck or Dyson vacuum cleaner; these cause excessive friction (no claim will be accepted if this type of vacuum cleaner is used)
However, whenever the carpet appears dirty, we strongly recommend calling a professional who will use a suitable dry foam, a dry extraction system, or even spray extraction methods.
Remove small stains
Using an aerosol or shampoo foam
For small stains, or for cleaning small surfaces, an aerosol or shampoo foam may be used:
- spray the foam sparingly onto the carpet (to avoid leaving a residue with dirt, which would stain the surface again)
- clean delicately using a moist sponge or a brush
- clean the carpet using a vacuum cleaner (which generally takes less time with an aerosol foam than with liquid shampoos)
Steps to be followed to remove stains:
- mop the stains using white paper towels or a clean absorbent cloth
- scrape off the solids using a knife or a spoon
- test the cleaning products in a discreet corner of the carpet
- apply the cleaning agent using an absorbent towel, on the carpet and on the stain
- do not moisten the carpet excessively
- work from the borders of the stain inwards to prevent it from spreading
If you have questions regarding care, we recommend calling a carpet-cleaning expert.